A display panel has now been installed next to the Kett’s Trail Sculpture in Eaton giving more details about the historical background of the trail. It also shows the circular walks that are linked with the trail.
A sculpture marks the end point of the recently opened Kett’s Country Long Distance Trail and where it joins the Yare Valley Walk as it crosses Eaton Street. The 18 mile (29 km) trail begins at Wymondham where Kett’s Rebellion began in 1549. It does not follow the route of Kett’s original march on Norwich but does cross the Yare at Cringleford Bridge (built 1520), which was Kett’s initial approach to Norwich on his way to Mousehold Heath.
The sculpture also marks the start point for the “Cringleford’s River Crossings Trail” (3.6 mile, 5.8 km), an attractive circular trail that explores the country on the south side of the river, and crosses back into Norwich just after passing Keswick Mill. Circular trails in the Valley help to take the pressure of the heavily worn paths on the Yare Valley Walk.
A suggested improvement to the circular walk (going counterclockwise) is:
On crossing Cringleford Bridge, turn left into Intwood Road and then turn immediately left into The Loke. On reaching the stables continue directly ahead on to an unsurfaced footpath (right of way) until reaching the entrance to the Cringleford Recreational Ground car park. Cross the car park to the corner diagonally opposite, then skirt the tennis courts and children’s play area on their southwest side to reach a path into Mark Lemmon Close. Turn left and then right to reach Keswick Road and rejoin the route on the map.
Information on the trails, and other circular trails from Kett’s Trail are here.
A project page has been added to the website. It is a page for anyone interested in publishing modest sized projects on aspects of the Valley e.g. the wildflowers to be found on Eaton Common. The first project to appear is a School Community Project by Jamie Kidd. It features the display boards to be found in the Valley on the UEA campus and on Marston Marsh.