The Yare Valley Society is keeping a watching brief on the new Masterplan emerging for East Norwich and has engaged in a Zoom consultation with other stakeholders.
The Masterplan will embrace four sites:
- Carrow Works – the former Colman’s factory site
- Deal Ground – large site east of the railway
- May Gurney – former HQ site for local firm
- Utilities sites – former power station site
The Masterplan will impact on the Yare Valley, and the Society’s objectives in relation to the Masterplan are:
- To safeguard the green infrastructure corridor of the Yare Valley.
- To promote biodiversity in the Valley
- To promote walking and cycling routes along the valley to Whitlingham Country Park and to link them with the River Wensum walking and cycling routes.
Information on the developing Masterplan can be found here.
The Strawberry Field is on the Bluebell Road next to the McCarthy and Stone site. It has now had its end of year cut, but for wildflowers to prosper the cuttings need to be removed.
Matt Tomlinson is organizing another working party to remove cuttings from at least part of the field. He writes:
“I plan to lead a work party to clear the clippings from the very top of the field and dispose of them under the hedge at the top of strawberry field and under the hedge at the top of the donkey sanctuary (we have permission from the UEA). This area is the richest and certainly the most diverse, for plants, on the field.
If you are free anytime on Saturday the 16th October from 10am (I will be down all day) it would be great to see you and any help is very much appreciated.
Please bring a rake and or fork.
It is forecast to be a nice sunny autumn day on Saturday”
Please come along if you can and help get the job done.